Reflections on the 2015 A to Z Challenge

A-to-Z+Reflection+[2015]+-+Lg

The April 2015 A to Z Challenge is finished. I had fun, but am glad to be done with the stress of everyday posting. A few of my thoughts on the challenge follow.

What I liked:

Finding authors and artists to write about. I had figured out only a handful of the author and artists that I was going to write about beforehand. Each day/night before I would search the net and choose between a couple or few people.

Researching the subject author or artist. Of course I looked around the net and tried not make ALL hyperlinks Wikipedia related ones. I enjoyed learning some obscure facts about some of the subjects and would spend much more time clicking on links than writing.

Having a theme. My theme of Authors and Artists was a little more focused than having absolutely no theme at all like 2014. The theme was still very general and gave me ample room to pick and choose and change my mind several times.

Finding a few blogs and following them all the way through. I found some random blogs by clicking on the list. People are so creative and funny. I loved learning about some families as well as food-related ones. Also, someone else highlighted artists every day and I enjoyed that one. The artists were mostly the masters, but it is good to be refreshed and updated on them from a different perspective.

Keeping the amount of artists versus authors fairly even. It seemed like I was writing more about artists, but when I actually counted the numbers were almost even.

What I didn’t like:

Waiting until the day of to do most of my posts. I am the queen of procrastination these days and need to start changing my habits. This bad habit spilled over into the A to Z Challenge. I was always rushed and doing the posts on the fly. I can do better.

What I might do differently next year:

Put links to each post after each new post. I did this last year and I received many more hits. I actually just forgot about it this year.

Pre-write at least half of my posts before the challenge begins next time. I will not feel as rushed and stressed as I have during the challenge. This still leaves room for spontaneity. Of course, this means deciding on a theme earlier.

Well, I have 11 months to get my act together for 2016! Cheers!

14 comments for “Reflections on the 2015 A to Z Challenge

1. May 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Glad you hung in there till the end! And happy to hear you enjoyed yourself even if you were a little overworked and stressed. Don’t forget to link this post to the Reflections link list the first of the week!
    ~ We made it!!! ~
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps’ Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

• May 2, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Thanks for that reminder, Barbara! Cheers and thanks!

2. ssuire
    May 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Pre writing posts is always helpful for blogging challenges – it is too much stress to try to research and write a new post each day! Great job.

• May 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Thank you, Stephanie! That is why I limit myself to this one challenge every year! LOL. Must get organized ;-)!

3. JJ
    May 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Congrats for hanging in there. Great suggestions.

• May 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Thanks, JJ! You have been quiet on your blog. Hope you are writing. Cheers, D

4. May 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Good idea on putting links to older posts on the bottom of a new post. You should suggest that before April next year.

• May 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM

It worked well for me last year, Susan. Thanks, Denise

5. May 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Your post were very thoughtful, detailed, and I learned a lot. This Reflections post is also very well done, mine shows how tired I still am. 🙂 Great month, Denise. Thank you for doing such a great presentation and for your visits and comments.

6. May 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Thank you, Silvia. And as always, too, for being so inspiring!

7. May 10, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Congrats on completing the A to Z Challenge! Looking forward to next year! See you on the Road Trip!

Mary @ Jingle Jangle Jungle

• May 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Hey, Thanks, Mary! I really like your blog! Cheers!

May 14, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Hi Denise – I most definitely need to come and read through all your posts – to learn!

It’s difficult keeping up with old friends and trying to find new ones – I’m sure you found me .. so most grateful there … I’m glad you enjoyed it – and yes writing up the posts beforehand is the trick – I have yet to actually do that!! This year was the worst …. as I packed far more into the posts than I’d intended, yet the posts seemed to enjoy the content and thankfully Cornwall seemed to come to the fore.

I am definitely going to enjoy the read through of your artists and authors .. cheers Hilary

• May 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Thank you so much for all of your lovely and supportive comments, Hilary! Someday I want to venture farther away from London and southern England and visit Cornwall! Cheers to you! 🙂