Cuba

“C” day in the A to Z Challenge commences. My theme for the challenge is Ernest Miller Hemingway (EMH).

IMG_1443

–Havana, Cuba from the roof of the Hotel Ambos Mundos, June 2015

Cuba was the locale where EMH lived for the longest time. After many trips to the island (fishing, writing) when he lived in Key West, EMH moved to Cuba with Martha Gellhorn in 1939. Gellhorn was the one who found the Finca Vigía and urged EMH to buy the place instead of just renting. When he and his fourth wife, Mary, left in 1960, they thought they would be returning. Unfortunately, EMH and Mary never did return to Cuba. Only Mary returned after EMH’s death to retrieve a few personal papers and belongings. Castro and his government appropriated the house and everything in it and later the Finca Vigía became a museum, probably the most popular museum for foreign visitors to the country.

IMG_2159

–my pic of the Finca, June 2015

In Cuba, EMH hosted many friends and relatives from the United States. On a regular basis, however, he hung around the fishermen and locals. To get more insight on what life was like at the Finca Vigía, I recommend Hemingway’s Cuban Son by Rene Villarreal and Raul Villarreal.

IMG_2223

–Finca pool, June 2015

I hope with improving relations between the U.S. and Cuban governments that the country and its people who EMH loved will benefit . . .

9 comments for “Cuba

1. April 4, 2016 at 7:13 AM

Denise, this may be my favorite A to Z series! Thank you for writing about Hemingway. Will share as much as I can!

2. April 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Wonderful post, Denise. I saw his grandsons take a filming crew through the house on TV. Too bad so many of his personal belongings are property of the government, but nice to see they preserve everything in a museum . Thanks for taking us back there.

• April 4, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Yes, I saw the same show–Bill Weir hosted and it was on CNN. When I visited, I was impressed with how wonderful the house had been taken care of and preserved. The Finca is a very beautiful estate.

3. April 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Yeah, that would be great. I know many of his fans would love to visit the place.

• April 4, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Hi, Liz. I’m just glad it is so well taken care of . . .Thanks for commenting.

4. April 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Hello Denise,

I am also writing for the A-Z this year. I enjoyed your blog post on Cuba. Sometime in the future, I hope to write a blog on Cuba, from a slightly different perspective; from my visits to GITMO…….long before it was an illegal prison and national embarrassment.

Keep Writing

Zulu Delta

• April 5, 2016 at 11:11 AM

That would be so interesting, Zulu. Also, I think you would enjoy biking in Cuba. Here is a link to one guy who has had quite the experience . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUzisQeMA0 Thanks for visiting me for the A to Z! MDC

April 6, 2016 at 1:05 AM

Hi Denise – thanks for the email thought … Cuba sounds intriguing … and I hadn’t realised EMH had a museum there … thank goodness Castro kept it .. and yes it’s good Cuba is coming in out of the cold .. cheers Hilary