Fraser, Hugh–#AtoZChallenge “F”

Welcome to “F” in the A to Z Challenge 2017. The 1st Duke of Wellington is my theme for this year’s Challenge.

Hugh Fraser is an English actor that portrayed the Duke of Wellington in the Sharpe TV series that starred Sean Bean from 1994 to 2006. Fraser’s portrayal of Wellington has been one of the better ones.

Fraser replaced actor David Troughton in the series after two episodes. He was also in the film Patriot Games with Bean.

–Hugh Fraser as the Duke of Wellington

–Fraser and some of the “Chosen Men” from the Sharpe series at a charity event a couple of years ago. Pictured are Jason Salkey, Fraser, Daragh O’Malley, and Lyndon Davies.

–a fan’s autographed photo on Pinterest

–a pic from the Sharpe series minus Fraser. Pictured are Daragh O’Malley, Jason Salkey, John Tams, and Lyndon Davies.

Besides acting in other movies and TV shows, Fraser has done many audio narrations and recently has written and published two novels: Harm (2015) and Threat (2016). A third novel will be published in 2017 and is entitled Malice.

Even though Wellington had no ties to the dish Beef Wellington while he was alive, John Malkovich portrayed the Duke in a Portuguese film called Linhas de Wellington (2012) and following is a scene from the movie discussing the dish. Not a very good portrayal at all, in my opinion.

Christopher Plummer also played Wellington in Waterloo (1970). Here is an amusing clip from that movie. I have not seen the complete film so I reserve judgement. I would think Plummer would have been good casting, but I didn’t even know this movie existed until recently.

Previous A to Z Challenge 2017 posts:

Apsley House

Badajoz

Copenhagen

Douro, Marquess of

Eton College

9 comments for “Fraser, Hugh–#AtoZChallenge “F”

1. April 7, 2017 at 5:12 AM

Love! Surely I’ve posted about the movie at Number One London? The Battle scenes are excellent. The rest, not so much.

• April 7, 2017 at 5:20 AM

I am not sure if you have or not, Kristine. Christopher Plummer, too!

I like the fact that there were no huge wars on the continent for about 100 years after Waterloo. Since WWI, not so much.

2. April 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Hello Denise, You simply must check out Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington in the UK comedy series Blackadder – British comedy at its best. Have you left a link to You Tube – also has Hugh Laurie from House in it.

3. April 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Okay forgot to leave link – now here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clM1i88s-7Q

• April 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM

I will, Jane. I didn’t know about Fry as Wellington . . . I have enjoyed other shows he’s been in. Also, Hugh Laurie is a great comedian, too. Thanks so much, Denise

April 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Hi Denise – both wonderful clips … I couldn’t pose – I’d be off somewhere wanting to do something else! Sleep probably … Plummer looked good didn’t he – cheers for now – Hilary

• April 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Yes, it would be boring to have to pose. Cameras are much more efficient. Yes about Plummer! Enjoy your weekend, Denise

5. April 12, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Hugh Laurie??? I may have to really check this out!!

• April 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Yes, Zulu, Hugh Laurie! He and Stephen Fry were comedians together back in the day.