Older Duke and Death–#AtoZChallenge “O”

Welcome to “O” in the A to Z Challenge 2017. The 1st Duke of Wellington is my theme for this year’s Challenge.

Following are some portraits of the 1st Duke of Wellington as he aged.

Here are a few more as he reached old age. The top left photo is a depiction of the Duke meeting the daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

At the time of the Duke’s death, he was staying at Walmer Castle, one of his favorite residences. The castle is on the English Channel near the town of Deal and the Duke was able to live there as one of his duties was as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. As he did most of his life, the Duke preferred a simple camp bed to sleep on, but he died sitting in a chair. His cause of death was from a stroke and seizures. When he died in September of 1852, the Duke was 83.

Following are some of my pictures from Walmer Castle, open today to tours. The grounds are beautiful and the bottom right photo shows the view looking out on the channel, the same view the Duke had from his room in the castle.

The last two photos are from the English Heritage Walmer Castle website. The room, campaign bed, and chair in the Duke’s room and where he died are shown on the left. On the right are a pair of the Duke’s boots (authentic Wellies).

Previous A to Z Challenge 2017 posts:

Apsley House

Badajoz

Copenhagen

Douro, Marquess of

Eton College

Fraser, Hugh

Guedalla, Philip

Harriet Arbuthnot

India

Joseph Bonaparte

Netherlands (Flanders Campaign)

6 comments for “Older Duke and Death–#AtoZChallenge “O”

1. April 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM

It was wonderful to tour Walmer with you – more memories coming soon!

• April 18, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Yes, I can’t wait. Unless we meet our Waterloo. Oh, yes. We are meeting our Waterloo in Belgium!

April 18, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Hi Denise – you’ll have a brilliant time visiting the sites – Walmer is a delightful area to visit – though I’ve never been in the Castle – one day I’ll get there. Then across to Belgium … a lovely time to be had … cheers Hilary

• April 18, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Hi Hilary, In a month I will be in London for two weeks. Kristine and I and Ian Fletcher, an author of military history, are going to go to Waterloo for a night. It’s one of those places on my bucket list, for sure! I did love visiting Walmer Castle and absolutely love the town of Deal. So cute–we went out on the pier and looking back at the town is a great view.

3. April 18, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Great photos! I’d love to visit the UK someday and go to a castle.

• April 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, Aj! I am still shocked to have been in 4 castles now . . . I would have never thought I would a few years ago.

Thanks for the comments . . .