Pakenham, Edward Michael “Ned”–#AtoZChallenge “P”

Welcome to “P” in the A to Z Challenge 2017. The 1st Duke of Wellington is my theme for this year’s Challenge.
Edward Michael “Ned” Pakenham was one of Kitty’s brothers and served under his brother-in-law, the Duke of Wellington, in the Peninsular War. At the very young age of 16, the Pakenhams purchased Ned’s commission into the 92nd Regiment of foot.
Searching around the net for information on Ned, I found this wonderful post from The Regency Redingote entitled Regency Bicentennial: The Pointless Death of Ned Pakenham. I think this succinct, but fact-filled post gives more information on Ned than most. Also, this book looks like it might be very interesting about the Pakenham siblings:
The book was written by Eliza Pakenham.I hate to be lazy with these posts, but I am going to be on vacation all next week and need to finish by the time I leave so I am going have to make these posts shorter with the help of some good links.

Previous A to Z Challenge 2017 posts:

Joseph Bonaparte

Kitty Pakenham

Lawrence, Sir Thomas

Maréchal Michel Ney

Netherlands (Flanders Campaign)

Older Duke and Death

8 comments for “Pakenham, Edward Michael “Ned”–#AtoZChallenge “P”

1. April 19, 2017 at 6:40 AM

I have a hard time keeping all that royalty from the British isles straight.

• April 19, 2017 at 7:38 AM

The Pakenhams were/are not royalty, but I know what you mean, sagecoveredhills2!

2. April 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Have fun on your vacation!

• April 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Thanks, Aj! A few more days . . . 🙂

April 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Hi Denise – that was the way it was done back then .. buying a commission straight into a regiment – poor chap not a good way to go – he was obviously respected by Wellington …

I hope you have a good break and get the rest of the posts done .. cheers Hilary

• April 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Hi Hilary– It was interesting to read that his body was transported in a cask of rum. Yes, Wellington did respect Ned. Thanks for your support, Hilary. I think I will be ok in getting the rest of the posts finished. Half the battle is just deciding what the topic will be. Cheers, D

4. April 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM

To think he was only 16 when he was purchased for the military. I suppose back then it wasn’t unusual. Have a great vacation Denise!

Plucking Of My Heartstrings

• April 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Yes! 16 was so very young. 20 years in and then death at 36. Thanks, Cheryl 🙂

Thanks for the comments . . .