von Zieten, Hans Ernst Karl Graf–#AtoZChallenge “Z”

This gentleman helped Wellington meet his goal of defeating Napoleon (from Wikipedia):

Hans Ernst Karl, Graf von Zieten (5 March 1770 – 3 May 1848) was an officer in the Prussian Army during the Napoleonic Wars.

During the Waterloo Campaign of 1815, Lieutenant-General von Zieten commanded the Prussian I Corps. The corps fought a holding action against the French on 15 June, and was heavily engaged against the French the next day at the Battle of Ligny, and then again two days later on June 18 at the Battle of Waterloo.

On 1 July, Zieten’s I Corps participated in the Battle of Issy just outside the walls of Paris. At the end of the campaign on 7 July, his corps was granted the honour of being the first major Coalition force to enter Paris.

King Frederick William III of Prussia granted Zieten the title of Graf, or count, on 3 September 1817. At the age of 69, he was promoted to Generalfeldmarschall on 9 September 1839. Zieten died in Warmbrunn.

–von Zieten (from the Royal Collection Trust)

Previous A to Z Challenge 2017 posts:

Apsley House

Badajoz

Copenhagen

Douro, Marquess of

Eton College

Fraser, Hugh

Guedalla, Philip

Harriet Arbuthnot

India

Maréchal Michel Ney

Netherlands (Flanders Campaign)

Older Duke and Death

Pakenham, Edward Michael “Ned”

Quotes of the Duke

Reasons Why I Study the Duke

St. Paul’s Cathedral

Toulouse, Battle of

Uxbridge, Lord

Velázquez, The Duke and Unexpected Treasures

Waterloo, Battle of

Xaver Winterhalter, Franz

Young Wellington

7 comments for “von Zieten, Hans Ernst Karl Graf–#AtoZChallenge “Z”

1. April 29, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Well done, Denise. Great theme, excellent posts.

• April 30, 2017 at 1:33 AM

Thanks, Martha. This past week suffered due to being on the road, but I did put much effort into the posts before I left. I enjoyed revisiting so many good musicals and enjoyed being reminded what I have not seen! Cheers, D

• April 30, 2017 at 1:38 AM

As your theme, Martha, was musicals! 😉

2. Cecily Horton
    April 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM

You did it! Congratulations, Denise!

• April 30, 2017 at 1:34 AM

Thanks, Cecily! It was fun and I did learn more about good ol’ Artie! Cheers, D

April 30, 2017 at 2:21 AM

Hi Denise – great reference list for us all here … I love reading about Wellington – I knew some of it – but by no manner of means, some of the meaty bits you gave us … Well done on getting a Z in too – von Zieten did well for himself … cheers and I enjoyed the posts … Hilary

• May 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Thanks again, Hilary, for following me and all the nice comments. I really learned a lot from your “rare breeds” posts. And you have such, colorful, lovely presentations with great pictures. I appreciate your effort. Cheers, D